Jon Elson

Tom wrote:

I'm just about to take the plunge to buy a Miller Syncrowave 180 SD TIG Welder.
This particular welder appeals to me as I'd like to be able to weld just about
any kind of metal, and I'm not concerned about speed as it would be only
for hobby type work. Am I on the right track? Also, the best price I can
find is about $1460 dollars on Ebay, that's doable but almost out of my
reach. Is that really the best price or can I do better? Seems too that
for about $100 you can get a TigRunner kit, but that really only seems to be
a cart for it. I figure my first project should be a cart. So, I'm thinking
I'll build my own. Last question, I have 200 AMP main service in my home.
Am planning to install a 60 AMP 220V breaker to my garage, will this do the
trick?

I got a complete Lincoln Square Wave TIG 300 (which can go up to 400 A),
with a new regulator/flowmeter, all the hoses and cables, 350 A water cooled
torch and a Miller cooler for $1299 plus shipping. If you are thinking
of welding
thicker aluminum pieces, you might look for a higher current machine. 180 A
is a bit marginal, but would do fine for sheet aluminum and fairly thin wall
tube.

The 60 A breaker should be fine for the 180, I think.

Jon