jim rozen

In article ,
says...

The lathe looks nothing like your link g. Here's what it looks
like: http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/img12.gif

Yep, that's a AA products machine all right.

Those are supposed to have a small (1/2-16 IIRC) threaded
spindle nose. If yours has a welded-on plate, somebody's
been into it.

Don't try to tweak the spindle in place. The front, split,
adjustable bronze bearing won't like that. Remove the spindle
and set it up to test it, and straighten it with a press if
you want.

My choice would be - wait a minute, *was* - to make a larger
spindle and replace the bearings in the headstock.

I think I opened up the front journal to about 3/4 inch
diameter, and made a new spindle to fit it. I put oilite
bushings in the headstock.

But lots of of folks tweak the small spindles on those
machines, and replace them with exact duplicates.

Jim

please reply to: