Canned premixed is usually waxy except for Zinssers Seal Coat which is
dewaxed. Spray shellac is dewaxed. Fresh mixed shellac has typically
6 month shelf life after mixing. Seal Coat has atypical 3 year shelf
life from date on bottom of the can. My understanding is dewaxed can
be coated over waxy providing a viable barrier coat for latex. Test
on scrap?

On 15 Aug 2004 21:32:24 GMT, (Tvaughan1234)
wrote:

Was the shellac fresh dewaxed?

Not fresh, it was an old bottle of commercial mix. It seemed to harden OK.
Don't know if it was dewaxed, I'm no expert on shellac. I wanted a smooth
surface under the paint, and got it, but had to try something else. Would
dewaxed stuff be better? How can you tell if it is?

Terry