SQLit

"Chris" wrote in message
om...
I am planning on replacing some light fixtures under our covered
porch; upon taking down the existing fixtures, I discovered that
electrical boxes were not used, but rather the fixture brackets were
directly set into the plywood ceiling. I am planning on installing
the bracing and boxes, as the new lights are too heavy and I would not
feel comfortable installing them without doing so.

Our house was built in 2001 in Georgia. I'm curious if the
electrician was required by code to install the boxes during
construction. If someone could help me with this, I would greatly
appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Some fixtures come with a splicing area in them, like fluorescents. Years
ago here in Phoenix we stubbed out the romex and just screwed the fixtures
to the surface. Now everything needs a box.

There are 3/0 and 4/0 boxes that come with brackets for this purpose. Weight
restricted to something like 30 pounds. Better check first