Glen

I have various squeaky floorbaords (chipboard) in my house. Having just
had
a new baby and being up at all the time the squeaks have to go.
Unfortunately I dont know where the plumbing or electrics are running.

What
I'd like to be able to do is to take all the nails up and the use screws

in
those holes instead. The problem is, how on earth do you get nails out.

Any
advice on the nails or other tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Is this an older house you live in? If so I would definately lift the boards
before screwing down. Providing the boards aren't T&G this is dead easy to
do. Crowbar, bolster chisel, clawhamer...things of those ilk. Slip down into
the gap at the end of a floorboard and then lever it up. Once one end is up
the board will come out very easily. Then obviously its a doddle to remove
the nails, and to see where to screw the board in.

If you live in a more modern house...then there is less danger in screwing
down the boards without lifting, althought not without risk. Also, you could
try just resinking the nails that have risen...with a good nail punch.
Obviously these will rise again at some point...but if you do it well should
last for a good few years.

Glen