Bill Rogers

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 07:18:02 -0500, "Lowell Holmes"
wrote:

I use AutoCad for layout. There are a number of programs available that cost
less though. The current issue of Fine Woodworking has an article on
drawing software for less than $100. Design Cad was the first cad software I
used. I was very solid 20 years ago, and I suspect it still is.

The CAD program might be the way to go, and there are free ones out
there. Other specific software will do the work for a price, but the
CAD can be used for other purposes as well, making the price better in
the long run ...especially if free to begin with. Just draw
rectangles for boards, and rectangles (?) for cutouts to dimension,
then drag them around until it looks good. That takes a minute or so
longer than having software do it, but just fine if you are not a high
production business and just a hobbyist. Get the CAD program to add
'dimensions' and you can do a printout on an 8 1/2 by 11 [inches that
is] sheet to use for cutting directions.

I had a whole bunch of slats to cut from cherry planks for picture
frames, and used this approach very effectively; very little excess
material loss.

Bill.