chris French

Default Shed Electrics

In message , Quigs
writes
Can someone help me with their thoughts on shed electrics.

Have a Google there are plenty of threads on this.

I want to run electric to my shed, and am planning to use 2.5mm SWA
cable so its protected.

Assuming that is sufficient.

How deep should I bury it - I can do this
under a hedge so should avoid random spade attack etc.

It's not that easy digging near a hedge...

There are no specific regs, If it is an area that is at all likely to be
cultivated then go for about 450mm. i did the one up the garden like
that, the one from GH to shed runs beneath a path and I put in
shallower.

I want to run 1 internal double socket, I IP55 external socket, 1
internal strip light and an external PIR light.

Real questions a-

1) What should the MCB rating be at the house consumer unit and should
it be RCD protected?

16 Amp should do. Personally I would have an RCD at the shed end in the
CU, and instead of an MCB use a switch fuse unit.

2) Do I need to add another consumer unit in the shed? If so what
should the maximum RCD rating be on this?

You could get away without it I guess, but it would be better with one.
an RCD protected one with say 2-3 ways - 16A MCB for the sockets, 5A for
the lights. you can get pretty cheap small 'garage' CU from Screwfix for
example.

3) Should I add a local earth rod?

Possibly, there have been discussions on this, unless the shed is near
the house I would go for this option.

4) Is there an electrical book that I can read, that can help me with
this kind of question in the future?

The Which book is pretty good, though some bits are not covered so much.

One important question to answer is the length of the cable run. This
affects the cable size required as on longer lengths such in gardens
voltage drop can be an issue. You might need greater than 2.5mm cable.
--
Chris French, Leeds