SteveB

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
This isn't a posting about a problem. It's a posting about how I think.
I had a problem with one of my machines. I couldn't figure out what to do
about it. After a couple of days worrying away at it I got the idea to
write it up like a posting to this NG and then put it down and read it
fresh the next morning. Sure enough, when I read it like the problem came
from someone else, laid out clearly just the way I like it, the solution
immediately came to me!

I think better when faced with a problem which is written out logically.
This is what happens when you take a guy whose background is mathematics
and electrical engineering, with a lifetime of education, and put him in
a machine shop. I bet if I'd started out as a machinist's apprentice when
I was 18, at my now-ripe-old-age of 51, I'd think better when presented
with a problem on the fly, on my feet, in the shop.

Go figger.

Grant Erwin

I think it is like the old right brain left brain concept. You can't think
and create at the same time because thinking is logical and creativity is
not. One or the other is switched on. That is why there are so many AHA!
moments at 2 AM, in the shower, while driving, etc. When you quit thinking
about the answer, it pops up like a balloon from under water.

STeve