On 15 Aug 2004 20:06:37 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

Measure the runout in the chuck backplate, if it's more than
ten thousanths or so, you might consider having a new spindle
made up. They are straightforward items and if you have access
to a slightly larger lathe it is easy to do.

That makes too much sense g! Kind of obvious in hindsight, as all
great ideas are...

I would say it is more than a few thousandths of an inch.

GTO(John) wrote:

You mean Dunlap? What model is it? All the ones I've seen had narrow threaded
spindles.

Sorry, Dunlap. I'd have to go get the model number tomorrow but from
searching various web sites I got from more than one source that it
was the '49 model. From what I read this model was only made for that
one year. Both the '48 and the '50 were slightly different designs.
Perhaps they went back to the threaded design becuase it was
better?....

Thanks, all for the information. I'm leaning towards just making a
new shaft (called the spindle?). I was going to buy a three tooth
chuck anyway. This would kill two birds with one stone.

Gene Horr
my name as one word at texas dot net