jim rozen

In article ,
says...

So I was happy until I started trying to actually machine something
today and found the above mentioned flaw. The chuck must have taken a
pretty severe whack at some time in its past. The shaft looks
straight, it is the mounting plate at the end that is not square as
best that I can tell.

If this is one of the craftsman, AA products machines (a model
number that starts with 109... is the tipoff) then those do
tend to have somewhat undersized spindles. They can be
bent fairly easily.

Measure the runout in the chuck backplate, if it's more than
ten thousanths or so, you might consider having a new spindle
made up. They are straightforward items and if you have access
to a slightly larger lathe it is easy to do.

You can of course just take a skim cut on the backing plate
in situ to clean it up, if it's only out a few thousanths.

Key is to find out if the spindle is really tweaked, you
can remove it and mount it between centers, and check
near the threaded end for true.

Jim

please reply to: