Ed Sirett

Default generators

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:43:29 +0000, in2minds wrote:

is it possible to double the power output of a petrol generator from
it's rated 240v @ 700w to 240v @ 1400w ?

if so how ? preferably something I can plug into the 3 pin socket
(wishful thinking)

this is to run a small karcher jetwash (240v @ 1300w).

Have you actually tried using the washer with the inadeqaute genny?
You might just find that the combo works well enough for your needs.
OTHO if you haven't then it's a good way to find out if the genny can be
overloaded.

In my limited experience with SMALL gen sets if you over load them the
voltage drops a bit the machine slow a bit and the current goes up a
bit and they deliver not a lot more power than their rating.
However they can for instance boil water in a 1500W kettle.
How long they can do that before failing I dunno.

Many loads like the pressure washer are quite intermittent and may well
survive being part of an abuse system.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk