The Natural Philosopher

Chris wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...

Chris wrote:

I'm considering concrete beam and block to replace a suspended timber
ground floor. Can anyone give an idea of the cost comparison for
concrete and timber. I'm only looking at a room size of about 4m x 5m.
Thanks, Chris.

If DIY probably cheaper. Contact travis perkins for a quote.
You need to get the beams made specially to size.

However its usually cheaper to just chuck hardcore and cement down and
then DPM and screed. Any reason for suspended? BCO insisted in my case
due to large areas/wet clay/presence of tree roots etc.

The void below the floor is greater than 600mm which would make
infilling a problem. This is an old solid walled terrace house so I'm
also wondering how the not inconsiderable self-weight of the floor
will be supported.

Probably by adding some pillars, or a wall inside the wall etc.

The beams need to be well supported.

600mm on a smallish floor area is not much to infill - a few tons of
crushed limestone whacked down, and over filled with concrete..