Kirk S.

"Ol' Duffer" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
And which board would that be? I already did that to an interconnect

board.
Some solder joints looked iffy on it. If you could give me a general

idea
what to look for. I suppose it would be before the signal is fed to

each of
the different CRT boards, eh?

On most sets it's in front, behind the speaker cover, on a
panel that's held closed with 2 or 4 screws, opens down for
access to several dozen pots.

Thanks... I've got my solder sucker and soldering station ready... I'll
keep away from the pots. I've got an isolation transformer and o-scope.
I've used the scope on digital circuits however the voltages inside a tv set
concern me. Worried about hooking the probe to a live circuit and smoking
something... My iso is only good for 1amp anyway.

Actually, convergence on these sets is a separate, parallel
signal path. Each yoke has two sets of windings. Bulk
deflection comes from one set of V/H drive circuits on the
deflection board. Smaller correction signals come from 3
sets of drive circuits on the convergence board.

I'll poke around those boards looking for questionable solder joints on the
connectors. I find it a lot on the arcade boards I tinker with. Since I
have blue deflection, I would bet it is the convergence board. The pots
also sound like a likely place to look for trouble.

P.S. got any idea where I can find service literature? A schematic

with
labeled areas really helps me out!

Used to be available from Philips (for a price). May be out
of print by now. I don't think Sams ever did RPTV. If you're
good at sucking up, maybe the local service center will make
a Xerox for you(?)

Found a set at
www.servicemanuals.net . The only problem is that the parts
all have some manufacturers code on them. Voltages and general information
should make it easier to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks a bunch! TV works pretty good, I got it free by simply hauling it
off for someone. The internal battery is dead as well. Brightness is a bit
low. Perhaps it is time to change the fluid.

Kirk S.

In article ,
says...
The blue picture has shifted left on my old projection TV.
At one point, this only occured when the TV was cold and
would clear up. I can test components and replace them
however the actual circuitry doesn't make sense to me.

I'd have a look at the convergence board. Early versions
were especially prone to intermittant connections. They
thought they could get away with shoving square pins through
the board instead of using plated-through holes. Haven't
seen one of these relics in awhile, but it used to be pretty
routine to suck off the old solder and re-do all the pins.