Randy H.

It's true I tell you, It's true! its true! it's true!

I still have the bike with the wind screen on it. I'll take pictures!
I just wanted a taller screen because I'm 6'4" tall.

When I worked for Dow one of our "other" services was to make plexi and poly
carb shields for equipment and such. We did it because we had the ovens to
fit most anything for slumping.

The reason I used the Salamander in the garage was because the wind screen
would not fit in my oven at home. Which would have been preferable because
it would heat the entire piece evenly for a even bend. Being a glass blower
I understood about even heating and making bends.

The Salamander puts out plenty of heat up close. It can heat a good wide
area. I dawned some heavy gloves, put on some La cuka rachca music, and
started working both sides of the entire piece from end to end. You will
feel it when it softens up. I just laid it over the original to get the
shape of the curve. I had left the paper on to protect it.

I cut it after I shaped it. Cutting the basic shape was easy enough once I
shaped it. I traced the out line off the old one. I used a jig saw to cut
it out, sanded the edges, and then polished the edges with a cork belt
sander. I then could line up the mounting holes on the faring, mark em, and
drill em.

Nothing to it!

Now Nick I don't mean to disappoint you, but I usually save my "magic wand"
stories for the girls! :-D

Randy Hansen
SC Glass Tech
Scam Diego, Comi-fornia

"Old Nick" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:29:13 -0700, "Randy H."
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

I made my own wind screen for my motor cycle out of Plexi. I cut out the
pattern to match the old one only 4" higher than the old one. I heated

it
by waving it in front of a Salamander garage heater till it got soft. I

just
laid it over the old screen to take the shape. It worked great!

Sorry. I know your post is genuine, but it sounds a bit umm..

"I waved the new shield material over a salamander and it fitted!"

Leg of newt, anyone? G
It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it
rammed down our throats.