Chet Hayes

"ADC" wrote in message ...
I've had good experiences with Lowe's and HD. We must have some good
employees in my area of Texas. Never a problem returning anything, opened,
used, or even without a receipt.
"larrymoencurly" wrote in message
om...
"gfulton" wrote in message

this is the type of thing I constantly hear about Home
Depot. If you've got a Lowe's hardware around you, give
them a try. And, no, I don't work for them or own their
stock. Without a doubt the best company I've seen about
returns, but I don't try to abuse their policy. Which
you also didn't do at HD. I've had nothing but good
experiences with them. Good folks in my opinion.

I live near a Lowe's and a Home Depot in NW Phoenix, and the Home
Depot has been a lot better than the Lowe's. This Lowe's made pricing
mistakes the first four times I shopped there, but I thought it was
because of grand opening confusion, but since then they've made a
pricing mistake about every 5-6 visits, and their employees still
don't seem to be knowledgeable at all. As for returns, I've made only
two. One was for a pack of Dremel cutoff wheels that I didn't even
open (they were the thick ones, which don't last any longer than the
thin ones), but when they opened them to count them they dropped a few
and broke or lost some and tried to charge me for them. I asked for a
supervisor, but the first employee lied to him and said I had used
some of the product. I told him to take a look at the security tape
to see that their employee had opened the hermetically sealed package.
Another time, I returned some paint that had probably been mixed for
someone else because it was yellow instead of the brown I specified
(the dab of paint on the lid was brown), but they told me that I
couldn't return a custom-mixed color. (???) In each case I finally
did get a full refund, but I've never had such bad service, except at
Best Buy and CompUSA.

At Lowes here in NJ, when you return something, they just take it back
with no questions asked, which is pretty stupid. Home Depot always
asks if there is anything wrong with it. I bought a couple of QuikSet
locks at Loews. One, the finish was clearly left off part of it at
the factory. The other was dented. If they asked what was wrong and
put a tag on it, they would return it to the manufacturer. Instead,
later someone will do a quick look, miss the defects and put it back
on the shelf. Net result, a big waste of everyone's time. And if you
follow that procedure long enough, you wind up with mostly bad ones on
the shelves.

This reminds me of years ago when I was doing a project in college and
needed a couple of IC's. So, I go to Ely's Electronics, which sells
surplus, used, etc. Old Ely sells me the chips, which I later
determine are defective. So, I go back and he rants and raves about
how all his chips are high quality, that it's impossible they could be
bad. Finally, he gives me two new ones and I watch him through the
two I brought back right into the bin with the new ones!