Winston

Grant Erwin wrote:
Winston wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote:

(Snip)

...Sure enough, when I read it like the problem came from someone

else,
laid out clearly just the way I like it, the solution immediately came
to me!

After I have accurate answers for 'Who', 'What', 'Where', 'Why', 'When'
and 'How Much', a solution generally pops right out. It takes discipline
to step away from the problem to do the homework, though.

Are you going to share the problem and solution?

Oh, the problem isn't much. The fixed jaw on the chuck on my little die
filer was boogered, so it wasn't possible to chuck a file so it was
parallel to the axis of the file rod. Probably improperly hardened followed
by many years of cranking a hardened file in there. Anyway, I figured I'd
machine off about 1/16" accurately (either by milling or grinding) and then
make up a hardened and ground shim which would lay against the fixed jaw
and allow correct clamping of a file. I was trying to figure out how to
accurately remove and replace hardened material, that's where I got stuck.

Grant

Interesting problem. My first guess involved a lot of repeated operations.

How did you solve it?

--Winston