The Natural Philosopher

Default Still on about cutting curves in tiles :-(

chris French wrote:

In message , David W.E.
Roberts writes

Hi,

I have Googled in general and also this NG and still don't have a
definitive
answer.

Still find myself needing to cut a curve in a thin (7mm) ceramic wall
tile.

Some on this NG have suggested you can cut curves with the rotary tile
cutters (like minature saw tables) which are about £50 - anyone
succeeded in
doing this? Again a lot of dosh :-) And less useful than a zip tool.

Yep I've done that- a few times.

All the time.

What I did was cut in towards the curve to create little 'fingers' of
tile, which were easily snapped off. Then I carefully worked around the
curve, moving the tile across the blade. did a neat job as long as I
took time and didn't rush it.

Yup. Fine file or coarse emery of its a 'show curve'

These are dead handy tools for tiling, esp. for fiddly cuts like this,
for diagonal cuts and for cutting thin strips from tiles. You can pick
then up for less than GBP 50 now as well.

Yep. Hired one for 4 weeks for about 60 squids it was all busted up too.

Then got one for 50!! Tiles aren't all it cuts either - floor slates as
well, and even 1/2" marble, and provbably metal sheet tho I haven't
tried that yet.

Though for a one off one of the round tilesaw blades will do the job
I'm sure, jus ta bit slow.