Owain

Default How (not) to wire an extension lead

My local B&Q has just been tarted up in even more orangey orange than
before, and has been provided with a new selection of information boards
above the product shelves.

My eye was caught by "How to make an extension lead" in the electrical
aisle, which showed a 13A plug wired to a 2-pin "lawnmower" plug, and the
matching lawnmower socket wired to a bit of flex.

There was a similar example with a 3-pin "lawnmower" connector similarly
wired, with the plug half of the connector to the mains supply and the
socket half to the appliance.

I had to think long and hard about it, because I couldn't believe someone
would have done such a simple thing wrong on a "how to" display.

The duty manager thanked me for bringing this to her attention and granted
me 20% off everything I was buying as a gesture of goodwill. As this was one
switch and a back box I didn't get the saving I could have made had I gone
wild in Power Tools, but nonetheless £1.60 saved is starvation postponed for
about four meals.
I shall look and see if the display has been corrected next time I'm in.
Especially if I'm buying something where 20% discount would be well
worthwhile getting. And who knows, it might save a toddler's life by
stopping Numpty Daddy following B&Q's example. (Like I care about toddlers
anyway.)

Also was interested to see that B&Q are selling, I think MK brand, round-pin
plugs that aren't sleeved. One of the packages said "suitable for table
lamps" so I think it's clear these are intended for domestic use rather than
stage. I thought that unsleeved pins even on round pin plugs was illegal
now, but wasn't so sure of my grounds so didn't raise that this time.

Owain