Pounds on Wood

Is the new sub-panel in the area that will be your shop? If so, I think you
are finished for now. There is no reason an inspector would require the
installation of a 220v circuit to approve the job. Later you will want to
locate 220v outlets near the equipment. Unless you already have your shop
layout designed you won't know where to put them.

--
Bill Pounds
http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop

"Dave" wrote in message
I'm doing home renovations downstair, and decided that at the same

time
I would bring 220 volt power to the shop (by doing it now I save the cost

of
a repeat electrical inspection). My shop isn't ready for that yet but I

hope
to build a woodworking shop over the next few years. I've already wired in
#6/3 loomex wire to a 70 amp subpanel on a 50 amp feeder fuse, just so I
don't have to worry about being underserviced later. 120 volt service is
excellent already.

Not yet having the tools to compare plug configuration, I am a little
unsure which 220 volt plug would get the most general use. Early

candidates
for 220 volt service would be a planer, 8" jointer, maybe a dust system.
Would it be reasonable to wire in a small 20 amp plug, with the

expectation
that I would use that one the most? Ideally I should wait until I get the
device before completing the wiring, but I fear that the electrical
inspector will not approve the new wiring job unless there is at least one
circuit completed.

Dave