Default Advice on finishing alternatives needed

I'm contemplating building an "entertainment center" which will
basically consist of a pair of tall bookshelf units (with lower doors,
adjustable shelves), a rolling TV stand (with glass doors/adjustable
shelves), and a "bridge" unit which will connect the two bbokshelves.

The room this is going into has planked natural walnut walls (diagonal
tongue & groove), and I'm probably going to use birch for the system
and attempt to stain/finish it to resemble walnut. Walnut is a little
too pricey for this project, so the birch seemed to be a good
alternative... something I can get readily at HD or Lowes in both
plywood or solids. I also thought about cherry or maybe mahogany, but
it was just a thought.

So the real question is what my finishing options might be, and I
don't have a spray booth so everything has to be hand-applied whether
it's wiped on or brushed on. Anyone want to offer some advice on
readily available products that might fit the bill?

Thanks in advance.

Mike