If you apply a latex enamel (semi-gloss/Satin) over it, I'd heartily
recommend some sanding to give the latex a tooth to grip into.

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:55:02 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

"GerryG" wrote in message
.. .
Yeah, actually, that's probably what I would do, as it's simple. If it was
really rough and needs a lot of sanding, then I'd apply another very thin

coat
of primer after the sanding. That would finish sealing with very little

grain
raising. The shellac approach would work, but be more work. What's missing

is
that we can't see just how bad it is.
GerryG

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:35:34 -0700, wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:05:22 -0700, "David"
wrote:

I am refinishing a dresser and I have painstakingly stripped old paint,
cleaned with mineral spirits to not raise the grain and then sanded with

60,
150 and then 220 grit. So now that I have used a latex sealer and two

coats
of latex paint I have noticed that the grain is raised after the paint

has
been applied.

I am thinking that since water raises grain and the paint I used is
water-based. So the paint raised the grain?

If this is true, what is recommended to prevent this? After sanding,

should
I put a coat of shellac or something like that and then prime and paint

over
that? Any advice would be appreciated!

sand the primer

Yup, ANY primer, if you want a nice finish. Just taught my daughter about
that on some S4S 1 x 12 pine she was going to use for new baseboards. She
put on a coat of Orange shellac, then next day I hit a spot with some 320
just lightly by hand,enough to knock the "fuzz" off, then it was nice 'n'
smooth like a baby's butt. She decided to sand the rest, then about three
more coats shellac, they look real nice against the light color woodgrain
panelling.