troubleinstore

"Peter Boulton" wrote in message
Hi,

My garage has a rather rotten window, which will need replacement in the
near future.

By the looks of it, there is no lintel above the window. The window is
wood. The wall is single thickness brick.

In case of any doubt, I have put pictures from inside and outside the
garage on my website at the following urls:

Inside: http://tinyurl.com/5syv7
Outside: http://tinyurl.com/3sdfd

The question is obvious. Am I going to have problems having the window
replaced, or is it straightforward?

All advice gratefully received!

Pete

Your pictures do not indicate just how manyrows of bricks are above the
window frame.
I take it that this is just a garage and there is nothing above. If this is
the case, then personally, I would put a lintel in as I can see four rows of
bricks in your picture and that is quite a bit of weight bearing down on a
wooden frame.
Between your window and the brickwork above, there is quite a space filled
with mortar, the mottar could, and I have seen this done a few times, be
covering a think metal bar or bars, which have been let into the bricks to
act as a lintel. Very careful inspection should give you some indication if
this is the case.
--
troubleinstore
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk