Jim Elbrecht

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 18:17:13 GMT, wrote:

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 01:07:21 -0500,
wrote:

What is a SLEDGE? (as in sledge hammer).
All other hammers describe their shape or use, but what the heck does
sledge mean?

Try Merriam-Webster on line -

Etymology: Middle English slegge, from Old English slecg; akin to Old
Norse sleggja sledgehammer, Old English slEan to strike -- more at
SLAY
: SLEDGEHAMMER

I think that's the point. A sledge is for striking. It isn't a
claw hammer & it has no peening head, nor a chipping head. Both sides
are built just to strike. I've seen some definitions that say a
sledgehammer has a long handle, but I've always called my
short-handled 3 pounder a sledge.

Now. . . where do I draw the line between sledges & mallets? I
probably would call anything with a metal head a sledge & a soft
[plastic, rubber, leather, wood] head a mallet.

Jim