PJO

Default Alarm advice with cats in mind.

That's excellent to hear. But I think you'd agree the vast majority of
domestic installations fall far short of this? To fit the switch to my
front door involved chasing in the cable and re-decorating - I really
can't see many installers doing this, somehow, apart from perhaps on a new
build.

Many do do it properly. I could have fitted your front door contact in the
proper place WITHOUT chasing or re-decorating! That's doing it right. Your
way probably took 10 times longer than my way too. Perhaps it's called
training?!!

Have you looked at them? Checked their condition? Is the foil and
foam protruding from the split edges yet?!

They all still work, so no, I've not done a physical check.

Ah, right. So, your waiting for the alarm to give problems and annoy
your neigbours jost like the professionaly installed systems which you
mentioned earlier?! Ever hears of preventative maintenance. It'll also
be interesting to hear what you do when your pads do pack up because
(and I may be wrong) I don't think you can buy them anymore! Most of the
major alarm wholesalers I know stopped stocking them in the early 90's.
I think that says a lot?!!

Well, once in 10 years will still be better than several times a year.

But it won't just be once will it?! It'll be lots of times while you try
and fathom what it is causing the problem. OR are they all on independant
zones??!!

FWIW, they're still listed by TLC.

WHHYT too though? And FFGHT. AND what's TLC?

If they did go wrong, it would be a simple matter (for me) to isolate them
since they work via a home made relay interface.

Oh, right. A home made relay interface eh? That's secure innit?! Can you
bake little butterfly cakes too?

I'm talking about probabilities, not exceptions.

And as a security advisor I'm talking about both.

As for securing the frame. Yes I agree - it's difficult. In the past I
have used ally angle which the bead fits over to hide it. Very effective
indeedie!

Looking at the front doors and frames they fit in 'problem' council
estates, etc, it would need more than a bit of angle ally to stop a
determined thief. Plate steel seems more like it. But at the end of the
day, given time and not being overlooked, you can get through near
anything.

When I worked on the security team for a major alarm company we used brass,
concrete, steel, ally, titanium plate, etc. The risk was high and money no
object though. Not like your average semi! Good home security using proper
pucker equipment needn't cost the earth. The problem with most people,
especially DIYers is that they just hate spending money on it. Hence cheap
crap equipment sold by B&Q, Wickes, etc. sells plenty. Once major retail
chain is still selling an alarm system with a plug in PSU. Another uses PP3
batteries for the backup. The problem is the great buying public. They're
gullible an ill informed most of the time.

Could well be. But like everything else, speed and cost of installation
seems to be the prime consideration, rather than making a decent job. Same
as kitchen fitters etc.

Why are you digressing so much? From what you have posted in this thread I
can judge that you have made a pig awful job of designeing and installing
your alarm system. No cables on show maybe, but the system is crap and you
took too long messing about instead of just buying proper dedicated
equipment and doing the job like a pro would. Or do you think the way you
did it, with your home made relay interface, chasing and re-decoration is
better?

I didn't for one moment *actually* think otherwise. ;-) But I'd say you're
in the minority in your trade.

Agreed. And it's no longer my trade.

I'm certainly interested in what you say, as being a self installed system
it would be easy for me to alter it to the latest standards.

Disagree. The latest EC standards for intruder alarms are exeptionally
stringent. I can't say I agree with them and in fact I absolutely disagree
with most of the new regs but that the way it is. Trust me, your home made
relay interface and pressure pads don't even scratch the surface!