Dave Plowman

Default Alarm advice with cats in mind.

In article ,
PJO wrote:
Oh so the bump becomes a dip instead of a bump! Oh please!

Hmm. Ever heard of packing something square? Of course judging by most
of the pro burglar alarm installations I've seen in houses, care and
neatness was the last of the priorities. I hope you're different,
although given the cost in time of concealing all cables and switches
etc, I doubt it.

Doubt what you like but I can assure you than I have NEVER shown a cable
on ANY installation and that includes not only houses but industrial
buildings, shops, ships (yes, ships!) and even the odd Royal Palace.

That's excellent to hear. But I think you'd agree the vast majority of
domestic installations fall far short of this? To fit the switch to my
front door involved chasing in the cable and re-decorating - I really
can't see many installers doing this, somehow, apart from perhaps on a new
build.

Have you looked at them? Checked their condition? Is the foil and
foam protruding from the split edges yet?!

They all still work, so no, I've not done a physical check.

Ah, right. So, your waiting for the alarm to give problems and annoy
your neigbours jost like the professionaly installed systems which you
mentioned earlier?! Ever hears of preventative maintenance. It'll also
be interesting to hear what you do when your pads do pack up because
(and I may be wrong) I don't think you can buy them anymore! Most of the
major alarm wholesalers I know stopped stocking them in the early 90's.
I think that says a lot?!!

Well, once in 10 years will still be better than several times a year.

FWIW, they're still listed by TLC.

If they did go wrong, it would be a simple matter (for me) to isolate them
since they work via a home made relay interface.

Yes, if I did it for a living like burglars do!

Most burglars aren't pros. They are druggies etc looking for a quick
buck. A pro burglar would pick somewhere with richer pickings than my
modest pad.

You'd be surprised.

I'm talking about probabilities, not exceptions.

The PROPER locks will.

I'd love to see the lock which makes the surrounding frame etc
stronger. No locks will stop a determined attack on a wood sash
window. I'm surprised at you if you're in the trade.

You simply bolt the two halves of the sash together and they then cannot
be opened. Forced out yes but not opened.

That's how mine was opened - forced until the sash gave way. Bolting the
two sashes together will weaken the top/bottom rail. If you really want to
fix them closed, use screws through the sides and bottom or top into the
frame - much stronger. Do this beneath the putty so they don't show.

As for securing the frame. Yes I agree - it's difficult. In th epast I
have used ally angle which the bead fits over to hide it. Very effective
indeedie!

Looking at the front doors and frames they fit in 'problem' council
estates, etc, it would need more than a bit of angle ally to stop a
determined thief. Plate steel seems more like it. But at the end of the
day, given time and not being overlooked, you can get through near
anything.

To the best of my knowledge, non of the nearby systems that
constantly give false alarms have pressure pads. To install them
*properly* is too much work - as is fitting window and door switches
*properly*.

It's nothing to do with fitting the contacts (or other devices)
properly. It's all about care of installation. Soldering joints,
avoiding EM interference, using proper clips - not a staple gun, etc.

Could well be. But like everything else, speed and cost of installation
seems to be the prime consideration, rather than making a decent job. Same
as kitchen fitters etc.

I'm afraid you're coming across as so many other pros - you recommend
as gospel that which is easy to install.

You're totally wrong. What I advise is the best options. I have had very
few "easy fits" and have never been in the "cheap brigade". I have never
installed a system in a house - even a very small house - for less than
£500. Why? because I did it properly. I never had systems which troubled
and many systems I installed over 20 years ago are still working just
fine having only had the odd battery or sounder replaced. As a general
rule I was only ever called out to systems when something needed
altering such as customers replacing doors etc.

So please, don't paste me up with th evast majority of pricks who call
themselves alarm installers. I'm one of the few remaining good boys!

I didn't for one moment *actually* think otherwise. ;-) But I'd say you're
in the minority in your trade.

I'm certainly interested in what you say, as being a self installed system
it would be easy for me to alter it to the latest standards.

--
*Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn