Owain

Default Alarm advice with cats in mind.

"Dave Plowman" wrote
| PJO wrote:
| As for "switches" on doors and windows... a complete and utter waste
| of time and money. Contacts on windows are all well and good providing
| the burglar opens the window! Most of the time they smash through
| leaving the opening frame in place and therefore not causing an alarm.
| I've been burgled once and had a couple of attempts (before the alarm was
| fitted). Each time they levered open - or attempted to - a sash window.
| Most casual burglars don't want to crawl through broken glass - would you?
| Same with my neighbours that have been burgled.

I think many intruders will try to spring a frame open as it makes less
noise than smashing a window - and this country has a significantly high
level of burglaries whilst the occupants are at home.

Window contacts can detect an attempted intrusion rather than waiting until
the intruder has entered the property, which has got to be reassuring.

Also, perimeter protection means that occupants can wander around the house
at night with the alarm (part) set - especially important with bungalows
(although a PIR in the loft can be useful in modern bungalows with tile
roofs which are vulnerable).

Owain