Dave Plowman

Default Alarm advice with cats in mind.

In article ,
PJO wrote:
I've not had one false alarm, they've never failed, and they're nowhere
near furniture.

You will. It's just a matter of time.

Well, just about everything fails eventually.

If they're simply thrown under a carpet, yes. If they're cut into the
underlay they're undetectable - unless you're really checking for them

Oh so the bump becomes a dip instead of a bump! Oh please!

Hmm. Ever heard of packing something square? Of course judging by most of
the pro burglar alarm installations I've seen in houses, care and neatness
was the last of the priorities. I hope you're different, although given
the cost in time of concealing all cables and switches etc, I doubt it.

They also wear out as we stand on them in normal day to day living.

Mine are in the most heavy trafficked part of the house - and are fine.

Have you looked at them? Checked their condition? Is the foil and foam
protruding from the split edges yet?!

They all still work, so no, I've not done a physical check.

I've been burgled once and had a couple of attempts (before the alarm
was fitted). Each time they levered open - or attempted to - a sash
window. Most casual burglars don't want to crawl through broken glass
- would you?

Yes, if I did it for a living like burglars do!

Most burglars aren't pros. They are druggies etc looking for a quick buck.
A pro burglar would pick somewhere with richer pickings than my modest pad.

Contacts on doors is also (in my opinion) a waste of time - except
when necessary to start a setting or an entry procedure. Doors and
windows should always be locked and bolted thus rendering any
contact useless in anything other than a complete gross attack.

Of course they're locked and bolted. But on a wooden sash, such locks
won't resist a determined attack with a jemmy, etc.

The PROPER locks will.

I'd love to see the lock which makes the surrounding frame etc stronger.
No locks will stop a determined attack on a wood sash window. I'm
surprised at you if you're in the trade.

I specified alarm systems for over 25 years and always avoided
contacting doors and windows (front door was usually contacted to
form the exit/entry route) and as soon as space protection was
introduced in the late 70's pressure pads were dropped like a very
hot brick in favour of them. Ultrasonic first, then PIR's and
microwaves etc.

Pressure pads?! I suggest contacting your local museum as they may
be interested in buying them from you!

Strange how I never have false alarms - unlike the professionally
fitted systems either side of me. ;-)

False alarms are caused by two main factors - pressure pads and poor
installation techniques such as not soldering joints etc. I happen to
know this as I've been an alarm engineer for many many years, unlike
yourself.

To the best of my knowledge, non of the nearby systems that constantly
give false alarms have pressure pads. To install them *properly* is too
much work - as is fitting window and door switches *properly*.

I'm afraid you're coming across as so many other pros - you recommend as
gospel that which is easy to install.

--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn