xrongor

Default Apples and Oranges: Architectural Fees?

"3D Peruna" wrote in message

"xrongor" wrote in message
i am VERY leery of anyone that wants a percentage of anything. and

simply
put, the cost of the design has very little to do with the cost of the
build.

That's not really true. It CAN be true sometimes, but isn't always true.
I've done some very intricate, detailed work that cost much more to design
than the same "square foot" of a simple design.

sure. you can even argue that a good design lowers the build cost hence if
you charge a percentage you actually make less for a good design. but you
dont pay computer programmers by the number of lines of code they write for
the same reason. it just doesnt correlate that well.

I would agree that determining the actual fee based on the cost alone is

an
unwise idea. I only give a ball park range when someone asks what a fee
might be. Then I offer them the option of a fixed fee (which is

determined
after a better understanding of the project is obtained), or straight
hourly.

this is reasonable.

i could design a very labor intensive addon, or specify higher cost
materials, but that doesnt mean its a better design or that it would
actually take more time to design it.

It all depends... for instance, if you spec. out standard plastic laminate
counter tops, the amount of "design" work is less. But what if you spec.
out a custom laminate top? Or a floating top with special supports to

make
it appear as if it's floating?

well thats basically the point. it all depends. thats why i dont like the
percentage thing.

but to be honest; 100k for a 500 sq ft addon? if you think that sounds

even
remotely reasonable you got money to burn and need not worry about the

costs
anyway...

It depends on the addition...a custom master bath suite could easily run
$100K... Also, if it's 500 sq. ft. / floor, then the addition is a 1,500
sq. ft., not 500.

sounds high for just an average addon. even for 1500 sq ft. i smell luxury
items like that fancy soap in the fancy new tub g

randy