Gordon Clarke

Default Making holes in wood

Forgive my ignorance.

What's a D-bit?

Gordon

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:14:39 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

While waiting for Hurricane Charley's windy demo, I found an old
'palimpsest' of my notes re making holes in wood. (the real reason for
this post is to use that sporty word G) Anyway, I thought to offer
some thoughts on making holes for beginners to consider and for others
to disagree with or offer a better way.

1. Drilling requires more power than boring with a 'turning cut'
2. Spinning the wood against a fixed bit produces a truer hole than
spinning the bit. I don't know why, maybe the set-up is stiffer.
3. Consider making true long holes with other than twist drills and
Forstner bits.
4. D-bits and gun drills will enter and straighten a hole that began
true then wandered with the grain. If you don't force.
5. Consider making long holes from both ends. They will meet if both are
started with a center bit in the same punches the spur & center used in
roughing out.
6. Usually replaced turnings between centers run truer than those
replaced in a chuck.
7. For making short holes in metal or very hard open grain woods, use an
end mill. Ex: drilling angled holes for inserted bits.
8. The accuracy and precision of reaming and lapping are rarely
necessary for holes in wood. Good for us to know about, but
reamers cut along their length and have no drilling point.
10. Drill bits are turning tools that are usually neglected compared to
the grinding, sharpening and using of gouges and chisels.
11. Long bits will spring off center. Work out the spring by repeatedly
running through with the same size bit. Consider drilling with a series
of undersized bits and cleaning up with a final D bit.

12. Wow! I better stop here and resume later. Wind is really picking
up. Sorry no time to review this mess. To be continued..... Arch

Fortiter,