PJO

Default Alarm advice with cats in mind.

Hi

Few more pointers: always use a dual detection triggered control
panel. Numerous alarm systems without this feature have been fitted,
they frequently lead to repeating false alarms, and the owners give up
using them.

I think you mean "Double Knock"?!

Second be careful where you mount door opening detectors, as door
warping or wind can set them off. They are a big source of false
alarms.

Is it? I've never heard of it. The average magnetic contact has an operating
gap in execss of 20mm. Newer ones will stretch to 80mm! That's some warped
door!!! As for wind... I have never known wind to cause a door contact to
operate. That is unless the door is blown open!

Door contacts are usually fitted in the door frame on the opening edge for
ease of wiring but can also be mounted in the head of the frame approx 6
inches from the opening edge. As a general rule the door should open a
maximum of approx 8 inches before the contact operates and the further from
the opening edge the more the door needs to open. On bolt hinged doors the
contact can also be fitted on the jamb edge.

Third cover your desired area with more than one technology. Only when
both detect an intruder do you want the system to go off. Most sensors
are prone to some cause of false alarm or other.

Usine two detectors in parrallel is another idea but is messy. Dual-tec
detectors do the job well.

Glass break sensors are useful (not foil strips).

With respect... glass breaks detectors are useless because the ultra-sonic
sound they rely one (breaking glass) can be caused be many other natural
sources. Fridge motors is a good example! I remember in the early 80's when
these bacame popular. We installed hundreds of them in schools, shops and
the like. Then the kids discovered that if they through milk bottles outside
the window the bloody alarm would activate! No, forget break glass
detectors.

As for window foil. It's outdated by many other forms of setection such as
curtain PIR's etc. You can't even buy the proper foil and blocks these days.

There are burglar identifying paints and burglar trapping smoke bombs,
and of course CCTV if you have money to spend. Note only a high res
colour one is worth having - you cant seriously identify someone off a
junk grade picture.

Smoke bombs eh?! Corr!

Burglar identifying paints?? Don't think so. You've been watching too much
007!

Maybe you mean ID spraying? In which case, as we're on a DIY group, I don't
think it's worth mentioning as the minimum cost of registration and
instalation is around £5k!

Finally tamperproof wiring is a bonus to protect against the more
determined attackers, but you dont need this in most cases.

A/T wiring has been standard since the 60's and is an absolute must. It's
not just there to warn of attack but also to give alert to damaged wiring
etc.

Of course it all costs money, hence the temptation to go for a
cheapass solution. Trouble is, 3 PIRs and a single event tripping
system isnt really a solution.

But it is if it does the job. In my time I have installed thousands of 3 PIR
systems with panels that have no more than a single knoxk circuit. They
rarely false alarms and always activated on intrusion.

I'm not having a pop at you NT. I'm just using your post as an example of
how wrong terminology and poor advice can cause more confusion that it's
worth. We're talking security here and it's not good to give outdated advice
and non-suitable idea's.