Bart D. Hull

Default motorcycle gas tank welding -advice needed

Walt,

You have taken some good steps to get rid of most of the fumes.
Buy a nice chunk of dry ice and put it in the tank and LIGHTLY
cap it. (Saran Wrap the gas cap flange). This will keep the CO2
in the tank but let any pressure escape if necessary.

Done this on car gas tanks and no problems.

I don't thing trying to make it explode by putting a torch in
it is a good idea.

Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

wallster wrote:

I have an old gas tank off of a motorcycle that needs a mounting tab tacked
on to it. When I emptied the tank, the gas was real old and smelled like
varnish so i flushed the tank with acetone (rusty in there), then rinsed it
out with soapy water several times. I dont think it would explode because of
the age of the fuel that was in it and it was thoroughly rinsed but i'm not
a big fan of blowing my fingers off my body so i'm a bit relunctant to mig
this thing. A friend suggested to go outside with the cap off and stick a
propane torch in the opening and see if it flashes. If it doesn't, it most
likely wont explode. Any comments before I muster up enough nerve to tack
this tank.

thanks in advance,
walt