wallster

Default motorcycle gas tank welding -advice needed

I have an old gas tank off of a motorcycle that needs a mounting tab tacked
on to it. When I emptied the tank, the gas was real old and smelled like
varnish so i flushed the tank with acetone (rusty in there), then rinsed it
out with soapy water several times. I dont think it would explode because of
the age of the fuel that was in it and it was thoroughly rinsed but i'm not
a big fan of blowing my fingers off my body so i'm a bit relunctant to mig
this thing. A friend suggested to go outside with the cap off and stick a
propane torch in the opening and see if it flashes. If it doesn't, it most
likely wont explode. Any comments before I muster up enough nerve to tack
this tank.

thanks in advance,
walt