Dave Plowman

Default Alarm advice with cats in mind.

In article ,
PJO wrote:
With respect Dave... PRESSURE PADS??!! Christ, they went out with the
arc! They are unreliable, cause more false alarms than any other device,
damage carpets and are extremely inconvenient when it comes to moving
furniture etc. around.

I've not had one false alarm, they've never failed, and they're nowhere
near furniture.

They are also (most of the time) noticeable as there is usually an
obvious bump in the carpet.

If they're simply thrown under a carpet, yes. If they're cut into the
underlay they're undetectable - unless you're really checking for them

They also wear out as we stand on them in normal day to day living.

Mine are in the most heavy trafficked part of the house - and are fine.

As for "switches" on doors and windows... a complete and utter waste of
time and money. Contacts on windows are all well and good providing the
burglar opens the window! Most of the time they smash through leaving
the opening frame in place and therefore not causing an alarm.

I've been burgled once and had a couple of attempts (before the alarm was
fitted). Each time they levered open - or attempted to - a sash window.
Most casual burglars don't want to crawl through broken glass - would you?
Same with my neighbours that have been burgled.

Contacts
on doors is also (in my opinion) a waste of time - except when necessary
to start a setting or an entry procedure. Doors and windows should
always be locked and bolted thus rendering any contact useless in
anything other than a complete gross attack.

Of course they're locked and bolted. But on a wooden sash, such locks
won't resist a determined attack with a jemmy, etc.

I specified alarm systems for over 25 years and always avoided
contacting doors and windows (front door was usually contacted to form
the exit/entry route) and as soon as space protection was introduced in
the late 70's pressure pads were dropped like a very hot brick in favour
of them. Ultrasonic first, then PIR's and microwaves etc.

Pressure pads?! I suggest contacting your local museum as they may be
interested in buying them from you!

Strange how I never have false alarms - unlike the professionally fitted
systems either side of me. ;-)

Sorry Dave, I had total respect for your postings until you admitted
that one!

Each to their own.

--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn