Bob Robinson

Default OT- Black Boxes in Cars

Old Nick wrote:
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:49:14 -0500, Bob Robinson
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

You may have done this, but as a US citizen, you can't compare the
costs in the US with those in another country until you compare the
average wage and prices etc.

Obviously there is something seriously wrong here. For example, my wife
and I were living in Italy 3 years ago when she came down with a severe
case of bronchitis. As U.S. citizens we were not covered by the Italian

snip

antibiotics. While he was at it he gave both of us a flu shot. The
total cost: $25US, and it cost $7.50 to fill the prescription. The
difference - probably the lack of ambulance chasing lawyers and

It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it
rammed down our throats.

Nick,

You are right, but the cost of living there is very close to the U.S.
and the average wage there is approximately 25% lower than the U.S. (33%
lower than Oz). Even adjusted for those factors it's no contest, and
you can't get a doctor to make a house call under any circumstances
here. I really can't address your situation as I have no knowledge of
the Aussie health care or legal systems, but I have heard you don't get
gouged for the prescriptions like we do.

Bob