Rich Coers

Default catches

Bernie,
The first golden rule is ; YOU MUST HAVE SHARP TOOLS!!!!!!!!!!!! The
simplest of all tools is the scraper. The golden rule for it is to keep the
back of the handle higher than the cutting edge. All other tools must have
the back of the handle lower than the cutting edge. Now with the handle
below the cutting edge, you must rub the bevel while you cut. All beginners
should rub the bevel on the work without cutting, then slightly raise the
back of the handle until a chip appears. Now move in the direction of cut.
There is a lot more to this, body position, arm placement,etc...... That's
what you have to learn from another turner. Go to the AAW website and find a
chapter near you. Turners are a friendly bunch.

Rich

"bernie feinerman" wrote in message
I am an occasional woodturner with a decent lathe and a modest (?)
assortment
of tools interested in turning bowls and hollow forms.

How can I avoid catches?
Some of them are 3/8" deep or more and occur for no apparent (to me)

reason.
I can get a catch with scrapers, gouges, I guess I can get a catch with
whatever
tool I am using.

Suggestions?

bernie