RoyJ

Default TIG welding hoods

What Peter said!!! Still digesting the trifocals after bifocals.

Peter T. Keillor III wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:50:23 -0500, Jim Levie
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:45:30 +0000, Karl Townsend wrote:

Ernie,

I also have one of the el-cheapo auto hoods like Jon's.

I have one hell of a time with AL, telling if I've got a good melt puddle.
(My son has no trouble at all with the same hood - he's a GREAT welder) Will
one of these better hoods help much? Or, as my son says, is it just an
operator problem?

Do you happen to us bi-focals and are near-sighted? If so adding a
magnifier to the hood is a big help in being able to see what you are
doing. One wants to ping a lens such that the upper portion of the
bi-focal is usable at the close distances that one has when welding.

I got single focal length glasses with about an 18" focal length for
use under the hood. Side shields, too. Big improvement over the
gradient bifocals I normally wear.

Pete Keillor