James Sweet

Default Help with projector problem

"Steve Cooper" wrote in message
om...
Hi folks,
School starts in three weeks and I've planned an entire year of videos
and presentations around a projector that is now out-of-commision!

The projector is an Infocus LP130. Recently the bulb with aprx 500hrs
just went out...no dimming, fuzzies etc. The next day it worked fine,
but the following day it went out again and won't come back on at all
now. The fans come on, the bulb is seated tightly, the wires to the
bulb look fine. I haven't actually opened the pup up and poked around.

The bulb is a UHP discharge lamp with the very high kick start
voltage, so I don't really want to poke around with a meter during
power up!

Would I be correct in assuming this would not be normal "the bulb is
shot" behavior and the problem would like be something other than bulb
related? I don't have a spare bulb to test it with. These types of
bulbs would always show open with a continuity test wouldn't they?

Any ideas or directions I should take? The only input I received
commercially is the standard "give us $100 and we'll let you know
whether it's going to cost $1,000 or $2,000 to repair".

thanks,
steve cooper

How long is the bulb rated to last? 500 hours is about all you can expect
from some of them. You'll need a new bulb soon anyway, if it were me, I'd
buy the bulb, see if that fixes it, and if it doesn't then have the unit
repaired and use the original bulb until it's rated life expires.