RichardS

Default Electrical Advice Please

"Tony" wrote in message

wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y, Tony wrote:

When I first commissioned my sauna and spa, the RCD was forever

tripping.
The manual said this was expected for the first few hours of use as

the
heating elements (and there are lots of them) were new and could have
absorbed moisture. Somehow (perhaps someone could explain?) this

trips
the
RCD. After about a dozen resets all settled down as the manual said

it
would. If its a new iron could this also be the case?

sip

As the mineral insulation dries out from the heating, it
stops being nearly so conductive, and your RCD goes back to a state of
wariness rather than at action stations.

Although an iron *might* leak to earth a little more when first used

than
after a while, I'd'a thunk it'd settle down much sooner than the 6

months
our original poster reports (unless in their household they have a
few-times-a-year ironing binge... like us ;-) It sounded more like the

OP
had pre-existing leaks-to-earth which put their RCD right on the edge of
popping already.

Stefek

Ta for such a complete answer. I must admit to having some concerns when

it
first happened and nearly sent the heater back, but the manual was most
definite it would happen and I was just being impatient. Never read
anything similar on any other electrical goods.

I must admit to not even owning an iron :-)

Tony

Well, when you can hang your shirts and linen suits up in the sauna, why
would you want one??? :-)

--
Richard Sampson

email me at