Andy Asberry

Default OT - Workers Compensation Idiocy

On 12 Aug 2004 07:41:25 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Andy Asberry says...

Her first question, "Why did I want it?" I explained I was just a
citizen interested in what was happening in my area. "Well, why did I
need it?" "Because I'm a citizen of the United States and I'm entitled
to know what my government is up to."

Ha ha. Look out Andy, you are now another candidate
for investigation from the Homeland Security department!
Our government apparently had to operate in secrecy,
simply because most of what they do cannot stand the
light of day.

Jim

I have more tolerance for fools than abuse or incompetence. I'm not
timid about expressing my views when I encounter the latter. Sometimes
it is hard to tell the difference.

TSA is an example of the latter. I earn my money in denim and denim is
good enough attire to spend it. Jeans have metal (see, back on topic)
buttons and rivets. I'm accustomed to the wand and a pat-down at the
airport. I put everything else (coins, watch, cell phone, belt) in a
Ziploc bag so it is easy to see.

I had concluded that their inspection methods were just window
dressing. So, when the pat-down guy asked if he can touch me, I tell
him sure just as soon as he puts on new gloves. What! You would have
thought I'd opened a bucket of stink bait. All eyes were on me like I
might make a break for the skyway.

His supervisor stepped behind me and wanted to know why they should
use new gloves. In a voice loud enough for both lines to hear, I told
them I didn't want the contents of someone's snotty handkerchief,
dirty underwear or explosives kit smeared all over me. That got me an
upgrade in accommodations; a private room. As we walked away, I heard
a lady in the other line say, "I'd like new gloves, too."

They turned me loose with a warning not to create any more
disturbances. I was the last to board and figured all the other
passengers would be POed at me. As I walked down the aisle, there were
many smiles and few thumbs up.

If you've ever flown Southwest from Dallas, you know you can only fly
direct to the states adjoining Texas. If you are going farther, you
have to claim your baggage and recheck it for the connecting flight.

This trip was from Dallas to Tulsa to Louisville. So, I claimed my bag
at Tulsa and as I (re)checked the bag to Louisville, I was cheerfully,
asked if my bag had been out my sight since I packed. I answered yes,
you've had it for 4 hours. No more Mr. Niceguy. "I asked a serious
question and I expect a serious answer." Well, the serious answer is
yes. "Thank you, have a nice trip."

I just knew I was on the radar and wasn't looking forward to security.
but I breezed right through without even a wand wave.

Not until I returned home did my wife point out that my money clip had
a 1 inch knife blade on one side and a nail file on the other. Maybe
I'll lay low for a while and let my luck bank recharge.