PJO

Default Alarm advice with cats in mind.

With respect Dave... PRESSURE PADS??!! Christ, they went out with the arc!
They are unreliable, cause more false alarms than any other device, damage
carpets and are extremely inconvenient when it comes to moving furniture
etc. around. They are also (most of the time) noticeable as there is usually
an obvious bump in the carpet. They also wear out as we stand on them in
normal day to day living. As for "switches" on doors and windows... a
complete and utter waste of time and money. Contacts on windows are all well
and good providing the burglar opens the window! Most of the time they smash
through leaving the opening frame in place and therefore not causing an
alarm. Contacts on doors is also (in my opinion) a waste of time - except
when necessary to start a setting or an entry procedure. Doors and windows
should always be locked and bolted thus rendering any contact useless in
anything other than a complete gross attack. I specified alarm systems for
over 25 years and always avoided contacting doors and windows (front door
was usually contacted to form the exit/entry route) and as soon as space
protection was introduced in the late 70's pressure pads were dropped like a
very hot brick in favour of them. Ultrasonic first, then PIR's and
microwaves etc.

Pressure pads?! I suggest contacting your local museum as they may be
interested in buying them from you!

Sorry Dave, I had total respect for your postings until you admitted that
one!

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article ,

I tend to think of the PIRs as last ditch protection as I've got switches
on all the external doors and windows, and a few pressure pads too.