N. Thornton

Default repointing brickwork

"Jerry Built" ] wrote in message . ..
"N. Thornton" wrote:
"Jerry Built" wrote...

1:1:6 is very common, but has been widely criticised by the experts,

No it has not. See below.

since the lime content causes thr cement to not checmically set
properly, and the cement clogs the pores preventing the lime going off
properly as well. The result is regular failures. But its still
commonly used. I expect it'll take another 10 years for the knowledge
to permeate.

Erm, NT, I think you've become confused. This is doing people a
big dis-service. There is nothing wrong with 1:1:6. For a brief
and easy-to-understand look at the subject, please see:

http://www.buildingconservation.com/...ent/cement.htm
http://www.bricksandbrass.co.uk/diymats/lime/lime.htm

OK so if I understand correctly, according to this, 1:1:6 is fine, but
some cement lime mixes arent. I know little about lime mortars, I read
some articles and paper a year or so ago, some from English Heritage,
and the concensus of them all was that lime cement mixes should be
avoided. I guess, as the article you refer to says, there are
differences of opinion. I expect I'll be using 1:1:6 then, thanks for
the info.

Regards, NT