Jerry Greenberg

Default How can I tell if my microwave oven is unsafe?

Personaly I would have the microwave oven properly checked by someone
who is experienced at servicing them. If you have something that is
sparking, there is definately something wrong. The sparking means that
something is conducting to itself or ground, and acting as a load.
This can damage the magnetron after a period of time.

If you are cooking, and there is sparking, the sparks can be releasing
some fumes due to the breakdown of the material being arced. This may
not be safe for the food, depending on the material composition that
is arcing.

As for radiation safety, this depends on how well sealed the cabinet
and doors are. This can be properly checked with a microwave oven
radiation meter.

Any of the service centers that service microwave ovens can check this
for you. If your oven is a low cost oven and it is out of warranty,
and you do not have the experience and skills to service it yourself,
you may be better off to get a new one if the service cost will be
high. First, take it in to the service center find out what is
involved.

Jerry G.
========

(Ted Shoemaker) wrote in message . com...
Hello,

Our microwave oven has been sparking intermittently.

On the inside wall of the oven, (i.e. in the food area) is a shield
made of sheet metal, about 2 inches by 4 inches. The sparking has
occurred at the top center of that shield. Now there is a small hole
at the sparking site, about 1/8 inch across.

How safe (or unsafe) is this oven? Is it fixable?

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker