Jose Capco

Default Repairing a CD RW

Dear NG,

IŽd like to ask a few questions about CD-RW drives. I better however
start with a short story of how mine became out of order.

The tray was not coming out completely so I decided to repair it...
unfortunately I wasnŽt at a very good mood, I however managed to make
the tray come out properly by doing a bit of lubrication (with vegetable
oil.. I know it wasnŽt the best lubricant but I wasnŽt thinking then).
Then after sometime this problem repeated, so I did something which I
donŽt exactly remember but somehow the tray got stuck in the drive and
could not come out anymore. I used a little force and managed to pry it
out. But then I felt something was broken and that it wasnŽt able to
read CDs anymore.

After disassembling the drive, I realized that the optical drive had a
black plastic cover that sorounds the laser diode (or laser light
source, whatever that is), and it was broken and I in fact found that
broken piece. I then glued it back. ... but well ... it cant read CDs
anymore. I wonder if its already hopeless to make this CD drive work (I
can of course buy a new one, but IŽd also love to learn and experiment
with the mechanism of this one. It will be a good punishment for me and
give me a lesson not to damage a gadget more than it is already damaged).

Also, I found a website that has everything about CD-repairs and
apparently it was an extract from sci.electronics.repair. But
unfortunately I am unable to recall this site. If anyone knows it, IŽd
be glad if he could share it with me.

Many thanks.

Sincerely,
Jose Capco