IMM

Default CH+HW upgrade, unvented or thermal store cylinder?

"Grunff" wrote in message
Ian Calderbank wrote:

the debates that I'm having are mainly around the cylinder selection.
All the local heating engineers (the ones that want to turn up and
quote that is) have a default recommendation of Heatrae Sadia Megaflo.
Whilst I'm sure this is a decent product I want to look at a few
alternatives, including the possiblity of a non-pressurised option
such as a thermal store, avoiding the need for safety relief, outflow
pipes, etc, and to have something that an unqualified person (i.e. me)
can work on in the future. also I have read on various websites
discussing the different system types about requiring building regs
and annual inspections for unvented cylinders, is this true?
I also _might_ look at adding solar hw heating to the system at some
point in the future (no decisions made on that score though), so I'd
like to avoid doing anything that would preclude that option, the HS
site suggests this may not be the easiest thing to do with their
product.

I have a FlowMax thermal store, which I installed after having one at
our last house. I'm very happy with its performance, and intend to carry
on using thermal stores for a long time to come.

Flowmax is made by range cylinders. They will fit solar coils if requested
too.

Lastly, I am in Milton Keynes area which is ultra-hard water, so its
been suggested to look at electronic scale inhibitors, any good/bad
stories in this area?

By all means look at them, but don't actually buy one. Looking at them
is just as effective at inhibiting scale formation as fitting one, but a
lot cheaper.

I'm surprised they never insulted you by saying MK is a **** hole. As that
is what most of them have been saying on this ng.

BTW, use a "directly" heated heat bank, not heated via an intermediate coil.