Dave Liquorice

Default uPVC worries

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:39:49 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

I`d be concerned too - Shouldn`t upvc double glazed frames generally
have strengthening rods inside them, so there shouldn`t have been
any movement anyway ?

They do but thats more to stop them bending under their own weight.
uPVC is very flexable.

As to the OPs problem. The frame should not be distorted at all, units
should fit easyly. Any stress on a unit is highly likely to make the
unit fail early. Get 'em back to fix it properly. Not quite sure if
the crack at the top is in the beading or the frame itself. Niether is
good, the latter really bad and needs to sorted out. I don't think you
can repair cracked uPVC, at least not by methods available to a DG
installer. I suspect a cracked frame means it's time for a new frame.
Prepare for extended discussions.

Who did the work? A sub-contractor to a national chain(*) or regional
firm or a small local company? Start with a telephoned complaint,
follow it up in writing and start keeping copies and records of
everything. Try and get the boss man involved, with one of the
nationals that'll be the local franchise holder, the national head
office won't be very interested in my experience.

(*) It can be difficult to tell if you have subbies or real staff as
subbies may well be provided with a uniform and logo'd van etc.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail