Rich.Andrews

Default contactor or relay recommendation

Sam Goldwasser wrote in
:

"Rich.Andrews" writes:

I suppose that depends on one's ones definition of small. I would like
to control the power going to two McIntosh MC2500 amps. Each amp
weighs about 138lbs.

OK, I hadn't noticed that. Still, what you need to determine is their
input characteristics and then see if there is a suitable SS relay.
However, it is hard to beat the price of one or even two 25 A (normal)
relays. Is 25 A enough for one or both? They would just make a distinct
click, nothing totally objectionable and you can always put them in a
sound insulated box that were too loud.

Sam,

A pair of normal 25A relays would probably suffice for my needs. A box
with some sound deadening properties would be sufficient. I think I can
come up with a reasonable time delay circuit so that both amps are not
turned on at once. Do you have a source and part number for the type you
are thinking of?

I was looking at the following and didn't know which way to go:

http://www.newark.com/product-detail...D121/4000.html

http://www.newark.com/product-detail...121/12441.html

http://www.newark.com/product-detail...D121/3310.html

Is it safe to assume that these mechanical relays can be energized for
hours at a time without issue?

I was looking at the possibility of using SS relays and there are many
design criteria that have to be evaluated. I think the cost savings of an
electromechanical relay offsets the noise factor.