Franz Heymann

Default Was: Moss/Lichen on roof, now we are into pollution.

Franz Heymann wrote:

In particular, all the material which is said to be
difficult to store (spuriously so) can be transmuted into short lived
radioactive materials. ( Stuff which is typically rendered safe within

days
or less). The suggestion was originally made a few years ago by a Nobel
prize winning physicist, Carlo Rubbia and has been analysed in great

detail
by a group of high energy particle physicists, The process has been

shown to
be entirely feasible.

I would be intensely interested in any material on the web that you
could direct my attention to, concerning this.

I don't know if it is anywhere on the web. It has been written up as
Laboratory Reports, and in the international professional physics journals.
I will hunt to see if I find anything on the net.

If it is true, it needs serious evaluation.

It has been evaluated seriously in the physics community.

What you aretalking about is essentially ';sterilisation' of long lived
isotopes by blasting them in and around a recator into presumably
somewhat 'hotter' but less enduring isotopes, that could be stuck
somewhere for ten years, and then be 'cold' enough to dispose of in more
normal ways?

Very roughly, yes. But I am talking of stashing the stuff for weeks or
months, not decades.

Franz