Rich.Andrews

Default contactor or relay recommendation

Sam Goldwasser wrote in
:

"Rich.Andrews" writes:

Solid state relays seem like a good idea but isn't there issues with

them?
At one point in time I worked at a hospital that used SS relays to

control
the TV sets in the patient rooms. When they got a new batch of TV sets
in, many of the sets failed in less than a month. The SS relays were
blamed and the relays were changed out. We never could figure out what
the issue was with the old ones as they worked fine with the old sets.
The old sets were zenith Chromacolor II and the new ones were

Chromacolor
III. The old sets had a transformer and the new ones did not.

The specs should tell you what they can drive. SS relays have come
a long way. I don't think controlling a small transformer would
be a problem.

I suppose that depends on one's ones definition of small. I would like to
control the power going to two McIntosh MC2500 amps. Each amp weighs
about 138lbs.