David

Default Shellac as a sealer/filler under latex paints?

Dewaxed shellac is a good barrier to any remaining chemical
stripper residue. Zinnser's "Seal Coat" would be a good
choice. Check the bottom of the can for the date. It
doesn't last forever. I try to buy mine no older than 6 months.

David

David wrote:

I am refinishing a dresser and I have painstakingly stripped old paint,
cleaned with mineral spirits to not raise the grain and then sanded with 60,
150 and then 220 grit. So now that I have used a latex sealer and two coats
of latex paint I have noticed that the grain is raised after the paint has
been applied.

I am thinking that since water raises grain and the paint I used is
water-based. So the paint raised the grain?

If this is true, what is recommended to prevent this? After sanding, should
I put a coat of shellac or something like that and then prime and paint over
that? Any advice would be appreciated!