Tom Watson

Default Auger bits

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:33:41 -0700, dean b wrote:

Hey all: I recently came into possession of some long auger bits, (like
a lamp makers bit). I've got a brace but I was wondering if anyone knew
where I might find some sort of doo-dad that would let me chuck one into
a regular power drill chuck. I hate to just cut off the square tapered
end. And yes I know I will have to go at a very slow speed because of
the design of the bit.
Any hints welcome: Dean

Get a socket from a 1/4' socket set and fit it to the auger bit base.
Buy a short extension and whack the fat part off. Chuck up the
modified extension.

If the small width of the taper is like my Irwin's, you'll be good to
go.

Sockets vary in length, so take the auger to the store to match it up.

Turn it real slow.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)